【Call for Application】The 5th Summer School on New Structural Economics
Call for Application:
The 5th Summer School on New Structural Economics
July 10 – July 15, Peking University, Beijing, China
Proposed and championed by Professor Justin Yifu Lin, New Structural Economics (NSE) applies a neoclassical approach to study the determinants of structural change with a special focus on how to help developing countries achieve economic transformation. The NSE has been endorsed by renowned economists worldwide, including more than 10 Nobel Laureates such as Joseph Stiglitz, Gary Becker and Michael Spence, and is taken as the third wave in development economics after Structuralism and neoliberalism. The 5th Summer School on New Structural Economics at Peking University aims to select a core group of postgraduate students who are keen to learn theoretical frameworks, empirical application, and methodology of New Structural Economics. The 5th summer school will also include a one-day field visit to gain some first-hand experiences of industrial parks in the city of Wuqiang of Hebei Province in China.
- Justin Yifu Lin, Dean, Institute of New Structural Economics at Peking University; PhD from University of Chicago in 1986.
- Yong Wang, Associate Professor and Academic Deputy Dean, Institute of New Structural Economicsat Peking University; PhD from University of Chicago in 2009.
- Jiajun Xu, Assistant Professor and Executive Deputy Dean, Institute of New Structural Economicsat Peking University; DPhil (PhD) from the University of Oxford.
- Caihui Fu, Researcher, Institute of New Structural Economics at Peking University; PhD from Xiamen University in 2014.
- Yi Wen, Visiting Professor at Institute of New Structural Economics; Assistant Vice President of Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis; PhD from University of Iowa in 1996.
- Xiaobo Zhang, Professor, National School of Development at Peking University, PhDfrom Cornell University in 2000.
- Miaojie Yu, Deputy Dean, National School of Development at Peking University, Boya Distinguished Professor & Chang-Jiang Scholar,
- Jiandong Ju, Professor at PBC School of Finance, Tsinghua University, Pennsylvania State University in 1995.
- Keun Lee, Director, Professor of Economics, Seoul National University; PhD from University of California, Berkeley in 1989.
- Yuzhe Zhang, Associate Professor,Texas A&M University, PhD from University of Minnesota in 2006.
- Celestin Monga, Chief Economist and Vice President, African Development Bank.
Applicants are expected to submit a research proposal in their application packages,related to New Structural Economics. We encourage applicants to apply the fresh perspective of New Structural Economics to conduct empirically-grounded studies on a wide range of topics including but not limited to structural changes, industrial upgrading, industrial parks, technological catch-up, labor markets, financial development, economic transition, international trade and finance. Theoretical and methodological explorations are also welcome.
Successful candidates will have the opportunity to get advice from the lecturers during the summer school to further improve their research proposals. At the end of the Summer School, the excellent postgraduates will be selected to be visiting students at Institute of New Structural Economics. Also the postgraduates, had attended the Summer School, will have a priority to applyfor PhD or post-doctors at Institute of New Structural Economics.
Application submissionApplicants are expected to submit the following items (language in English):
1. CV (includes expertise and publications, one page)
2. Research Proposal
3. Two Reference Letters
Please submit your application via https://www.wjx.top/jq/21874041.aspx before mid-night on May 6, 2018 (local time in Beijing). We will announce the result on May 13, 2018.
The INSE will cover the local accommodation for all participants during the summer school. Scholarships will be awarded to outstanding candidates to cover their transportation costs of travelling from their place of residence to Beijing (economic-class flights or trains).
We are looking forward to your application!
April 3, 2018
【Feedback from previous students】
2. 《经济发展与转型：思潮、战略和自生能力》3. 《解读中国经济》
1. New Structural Economics: A Framework for Rethinking DevelopmentJustin Yifu Lin
2. Endowment structures, industrial dynamics, and economic growth
Jiandong Ju, Justin Yifu Lin, Yong Wang
3. Growth Identification and Facilitation - The Role of the State in the Dynamics of Structural Change
Justin Yifu Lin, Célestin Monga
4. Applying the Growth Identification and Facilitation Framework (GIFF) to the Least-Developed Countries - (LDCs): The Case of Uganda
Justin Yifu Lin and Jiajun Xu
5. Banking structure and industrial growth: Evidence from China
Justin Yifu Lin, Xifang Sun, Harry X. Wu
6. Remodeling Structural ChangeJustin Yifu Lin, Yong Wang